[scribus] degenerate objects

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Feb 7 17:06:43 CET 2010

On Sunday 07 February 2010 06:16:15 Peter Nermander wrote:
> > You should always see these warnings - in your scenario, you may have
> > forgotten that you used a low-res version of an image, and need that
> > reminder. You should get used to seeing the warnings, and learning what
>
> What I am talking about is when I intentionally make something the
> pre-flight check warns about. The pre-flight list is very long to
> scroll through even when there's just 2-3 warnings, and it becomes
> tedious to each export have to see if there are any new warnings or if
> it's just those I already know of.
>
> A typical example here is screenshots. A screenshot should be made
> pixel by pixel, but then it will fail the "minimum DPI" I have set up
> in the pre-flight check (the value there is based on what is needed
> for photos).
>
> So, I don't want a "Don't check this" option but a "Don't remind me
> again about this" option.
>
> The other option is of course to turn of pre-flight check for PDF
> creation, but I think that is a worse option (because if people turn
> that off they will have to remember to manually run pre-flight check
> before export, and that is very likely to be forgotten.
>
> You can draw a parallel to spell checking, spell checkers often
> complain on for example names, it is a real pain if you can not add an
> exception for the name (like add it to a custom dictionary or ignore
> it for the rest of the document).
>
> /Peter

I leave the spellchecker active when I write an email like this but for longer
documents I use the stand-alone spellchecker ispell. It scans a plain text
document and shows each apparent misspelling and offers alternates from its
spelling dictionary. In ispell with a single keystroke I can ignore the
alleged misspelling, accept it just for this document, choose one of the
alternatives offered, _add the word to the spelling dictionary_ or get a line
where I can rekey the offending word.

When authoring I don't want to be slowed down by a spell checker, a grammar
checker, or layout considerations.  That is why I author in a plain text
editor (Gvim) and not a word processor. I use Linux of course.

After I have the text right I can then spell check it, and flow it into Scribus
or lay it out with TeX, depending on the nature of the document. Sometimes I
try a sample both ways. When the Knuthian H&J algorithm becomes a reality I
will shift more work to Scribus.

On the subject of screenshots it is useful to reduce them in Gimp, thus
increasing the dpi.  I take them at maximum magnification (Linux again.)

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"