[scribus] degenerate objects

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Feb 7 19:53:10 CET 2010

hallo peter,

> > You should always see these warnings - in your scenario, you may
> > have forgotten that you used a low-res version of an image, and
> > need that reminder. You should get used to seeing the warnings, and
> > learning what
>
> What I am talking about is when I intentionally make something the
> pre-flight check warns about. The pre-flight list is very long to
> scroll through even when there's just 2-3 warnings, and it becomes
> tedious to each export have to see if there are any new warnings or if
> it's just those I already know of.
>
> A typical example here is screenshots. A screenshot should be made
> pixel by pixel, but then it will fail the "minimum DPI" I have set up
> in the pre-flight check (the value there is based on what is needed
> for photos).
>
> So, I don't want a "Don't check this" option but a "Don't remind me
> again about this" option.
>
> The other option is of course to turn of pre-flight check for PDF
> creation, but I think that is a worse option (because if people turn
> that off they will have to remember to manually run pre-flight check
> before export, and that is very likely to be forgotten.
>
> You can draw a parallel to spell checking, spell checkers often
> complain on for example names, it is a real pain if you can not add an
> exception for the name (like add it to a custom dictionary or ignore
> it for the rest of the document).

at first sight i was very well impressed by your proposal.

after having read greg's answer i think that it's indeed hard to find a good balance between annoying messages and risk of unnoticed errors.

using your parallel with spell checking, i think that there may be a list of exception for the current document... but i'm not sure if this is really a good idea...

still, i think that the best for your workflow is to simply ignore the whole output of the preflight verifier and only pay attention to it when your document is ready for production.

it's just a less dangerous version of your workaround (disabling the preflight verifier and run it manually before creating the final pdf).

for the specific case of the screenshots: i wonder if we should have of some sort "low resolution" setting for pictures: i understand that if you have 100 pages with two screenshots per page but also some "real" images you don't want to be bothered by the huge list of "too low resolution".

personally, i'm for the status quo or for a very good solution which really solves the problem (imho, a flag to ignore a check for one item is not really a good solution...).

... i think we need some more input, here...

ciao
a.l.e