[scribus] What about E-PUB format?

Steve Herrick estebandido at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 05:42:58 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> And speaking of formats, I am specifically interested in E-PUB, because
> it is open source and, as far as I know, all the commercial tablets can
> read it as well as their own proprietary formats.

Last I knew, the Kindle does not read EPUB, though you can convert the
Kindle format to it.

> So my big question is, can I export from Scribus in E-PUB format?

No.

> Assuming not, is there a workaround, like exporting to PDF or
> something else and then converting the output to E-PUB? Has anyone
> here published anything in E-PUB format?

I've published one large book as an EPUB (I am not the author; you can
see the book at justthings.info), and am close to finishing my second.
The first, I imported from ODT, and the second from PDF, both through
Caliber. But -- the conversion was mostly a head start, and not
anything that would pass for a finished EPUB. I had to do significant
proofreading in Sigil, including hand-tweaking the underlying code.

In your case, if you have the text finalized, I'd skip Scribus
entirely, and paste the text into Sigil.

InDesign now exports to EPUB (though not perfectly). This might be an
incentive to build that in as a feature to Scribus. Then again, maybe
not. Maybe we should just leave that to Caliber and Sigil.
--
Steve Herrick

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just
enough money not to quit.
- George Carlin