[scribus] What about E-PUB format?

Bill208 billmidwst at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 06:43:49 CET 2010

John Jason Jordan-2 wrote:

> So my big question is, can I export from Scribus in E-PUB format?
> Assuming not, is there a workaround, like exporting to PDF or
> something else and then converting the output to E-PUB? Has anyone
> here published anything in E-PUB format?

John,

I've created epub files, but unfortunately not with Scribus. I've used
OpenOffice plus an extension for OpenOffice that will convert OO text files
to epub. From epub I use Calibre to convert to mobi for my Kindle. Kindle
will not read epub files.

Even though the epub standard incorporates CSS and XHTML formatting is lost
or scrambled through the conversion process and I’ve yet to develop a
satisfactory workflow starting with Scribus.

I would hope that at some point in the not too distant future Scribus will
be able to convert to epub. For an in-depth discussion on the epub format,
along with sample files for download and reference links, start with this
link:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/tutorials/x-epubtut/index.html

Bill