[scribus] Organizing the workspace display OR possible intuitive self help while not annoying those who know more

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:35:37 CET 2010

2010/12/17 Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>

> > (and i'm not talking about the real tooltips you're getting when hovering
> a button: those ones are very useful: i asked for one, i get it. i'm talking
> about tooltips, alert boxes, notifications and other artifacts that popup
> from nothing without me having asked for them.)
>
> But wasn't that what was suggested? A regular tooltip when you hover a
> disabled (greyed out) menu item? In the example of disabled Paste-item
> it could simply state "Locked layer". It won't appear unless you hover
> the disabled item. I can't see how that could be intrusive?

Yes, that was my idea from the very beginning.

> > and i repeat myself: i'm for a notification area where the user gets the
> notifications. and he knows that if there is a notification it will be
> there. and he can browse through a few past notifications. and can get more
> information about specific notifications. even links to the online doc.
>
> Well, you might have an idea there, but no other programs use that as
> far as I know. Wouldn't it be better to do like other programs do? We
> are already seeing a lot of users complain that Scribus does things
> different.
>
> /Peter

I think beginnings with Scribus would be much more easier if new users could
find information where they expect it to be from similar experiences.

The worst memory I have (decades ago): WordPerfect didn't work like any
other wordprocessor, and I couldn't find the way to exit the program; the F1
key did something completely different than bringing a help screen ... I had
to reboot the computer to exit the damn thing!

Marie-Noëlle

--
Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en
herbe<http://www.webmaster-en-herbe.net/>

Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com>

Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil
générale<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com>