[scribus] Organizing the workspace display OR possible intuitive self help while not annoying those who know more

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri Dec 17 12:13:39 CET 2010

> (and i'm not talking about the real tooltips you're getting when hovering a button: those ones are very useful: i asked for one, i get it. i'm talking about tooltips, alert boxes, notifications and other artifacts that popup from nothing without me having asked for them.)

But wasn't that what was suggested? A regular tooltip when you hover a
disabled (greyed out) menu item? In the example of disabled Paste-item
it could simply state "Locked layer". It won't appear unless you hover
the disabled item. I can't see how that could be intrusive?

> and i repeat myself: i'm for a notification area where the user gets the notifications. and he knows that if there is a notification it will be there. and he can browse through a few past notifications. and can get more information about specific notifications. even links to the online doc.

Well, you might have an idea there, but no other programs use that as
far as I know. Wouldn't it be better to do like other programs do? We
are already seeing a lot of users complain that Scribus does things
different.

/Peter