[scribus] Scribus vs database

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 16:57:18 CET 2010

On 7 December 2010 14:19, Matthias Schmitt <matthias.schmitt at mmp.lu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 07.12.2010, at 13:59, Cezary Grabski wrote:
>
> > I wonder why all of that is about CMS systems with XML based data
> integration
> > when in fact almost all CMS systems collect data from some SQL database,
> and
> > for me it is the one common point where we can connect Scribus to it.
>
> As far as I can see it:
>
> 1. XML based data does not require any server technology. It is totally
> system and language independent.
> 2. XML data can be easily created from any kind of program with or without
> database.
> 3. XML can be delivered file based or stream based, e.g. via a Web service.
> 4. XML can deliver a specified format, even if the database behind it has a
> totally different data architecture.
>
> I would prefer a clean defined XML interface, which can be used via a file
> import or via a streaming URL. It should not be the task of a DTP program to
> hassle with all the different databases around.
>
> Once an XML stream can be read, people can build interfaces to the
> different information source inside their companies. Following this strategy
> a common XML stream can be build from totally different sources, e.g. file
> based, database based, message based, web based, ...

The only problem with this is, that you can't write data back to the server
(at least not as simple as read them).

After looking at the wiki page I would opt for a REST interface, that is as
generic as possible on the scribus side. Then developing a database "driver"
would be as simple as writing a small server that connects to a database and
transform the data into the xml scribus expects. Connecting scibus to a CMS
is also just writing a REST interface on the server side. And there would be
no need to impose a databse table layout or represenation of the data on the
server.

I don't really know how this could be done with scribus, if someone pointed
me in the right direction I would be willing to give it a shot and try to
implement it.

 Cheers,

Jan