[scribus] Scribus vs database

Matthias Schmitt matthias.schmitt at mmp.lu
Tue Dec 7 14:19:30 CET 2010

Hello,

On 07.12.2010, at 13:59, Cezary Grabski wrote:

> I wonder why all of that is about CMS systems with XML based data integration
> when in fact almost all CMS systems collect data from some SQL database, and
> for me it is the one common point where we can connect Scribus to it.

As far as I can see it:

1. XML based data does not require any server technology. It is totally system and language independent.
2. XML data can be easily created from any kind of program with or without database.
3. XML can be delivered file based or stream based, e.g. via a Web service.
4. XML can deliver a specified format, even if the database behind it has a totally different data architecture.

I would prefer a clean defined XML interface, which can be used via a file import or via a streaming URL. It should not be the task of a DTP program to hassle with all the different databases around.

Once an XML stream can be read, people can build interfaces to the different information source inside their companies. Following this strategy a common XML stream can be build from totally different sources, e.g. file based, database based, message based, web based, ...

Just my 5 cents.

P.S. Scribus rocks! Thank you for this wonderful program!

Matthias Schmitt

magic moving pixel s.a.
23, Avenue Grande-Duchesse Charlotte
L-3441 Dudelange