[scribus] Scribus and DTP classes

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 15:26:57 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 12:25 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> It also occurred to me that each module must be doubled, because the
> default paper size for the majority of users is A4, but for North
> American users is US Letter. The instructions have to be adjusted for
> margin sizes and such. Oy weh.

I don't know that this is necessarily so. One could easily show some
examples with A4, others with US letter, and let students use their
preferred size. Some projects might use a Custom size. The same applies
to page units. Personally, I think the most useful units are either
points or mm, but it's not a big issue if someone wants to use inches.

> And not everything can be taught in a module where the student is to
> recreate a layout. How do you teach them how to set up color
> management? How to set up default fonts? And much more.

Color management and fonts/typography are two topics which I think have
both elemental aspects that can and should be part of an introduction to
DTP, but also have advanced areas which might only be of interest to
some and not all. For example, everyone needs to have an understanding
about RGB and CMYK and how these relate to using Scribus, PDF export,
and printing. In typography, the difference between typewriter and
typographic quotes should be presented early rather than later.

Greg