[scribus] Scribus and DTP classes

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 5 19:09:46 CET 2010

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:02:23 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

>On 12/05/2010 12:43 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

>> Should purchase of the manual be required? Strongly urged?

>Considering the scattered feedback that we get about the manual being
>a bit mercenary, we might just stick with a recommendation. At the
>same time, there could be an attempt to consider the topics and
>material discussed in the manual, so that the manual could serve as a
>useful reference, thus underscoring its value as a recommended
>resource.

This sounds like a good idea. If the modules continually reference the
manual eventually the student will get the message.

In my own case I did not buy the manual because 1) I already had a lot
of DTP experience in other apps and, 2) it was aimed at 1.3.3.x where I
was using the development version and, 3) I thought it was a lot of
money. But I finally liberated the funds from my bank account when I
had to give a presentation. And then I read the manual and discovered
that it was excellent and had a lot of good points about DTP in
general, not just Scribus.

>> It would need a website. Could it be on the Scribus website?
>> Elsewhere?
>>
>> We need an outline or list of modules or topics. I have no idea
>> where to start.
>>
>It's easy enough to begin by using the wiki, both as a place to start,
>and in particular as a place to shape the content of the course by
>creating a working outline. Christoph was strongly of the mind, and in
>retrospect I fully agree, that we should not have simply jumped into
>creating a manual without a reasonably fleshed-out outline of its
>contents, and I think that the same applies to this course idea.

Yet the manual came out just fine. I didn't find it disorganized at
all, although I do make heavy use of the index when I am looking for
something.

Later today I'll go to the wiki and start a page where we can make a
list of modules that need to be created. I'll add a couple of my own
and others can contribute their ideas. It can be a single page for now,
just a place to get things started.

>> My original thought was that there would be assignments and
>> volunteers would check them over as completed. But after considering
>> the module idea I think that is unnecessary and cumbersome. If the
>> student completes a module without a problem, there is no need for
>> instructor intervention.
>
>I can imagine that those going through this may wish to pursue their
>own ideas such as, for example, learn how to create, edit, and advance
>the sophistication of some newsletter that is the basis for them
>getting interested in Scribus in the first place. What we might
>provide is some guidance toward using various features, nudging toward
>using Master Pages, layers, paragraph styles, and creating a sensible
>workflow in general. We might also come up with some generic kinds of
>layout projects if students can't come up with ideas on their own.

Initially I thought of creating a finished project as a PDF, then the
student's task would be to recreate it in Scribus. Perhaps some modules
could start this way, where the creating the PDF requires learning a
particular feature or set of features. Of course, the module would also
have hints and suggestions.

In my presentation I started with some basics of DTP, followed by an
overview of Scribus (i.e., page-based, frames, etc.), and then I
launched Scribus with the intent of recreating a flier that I had
produced for the local LUG. I brought enough copies of the flier so
that audience members would have a paper copy in front of them. This
turned out to be the part of the presentation that the audience
responded to best. Unfortunately, I only had an hour and a half and by
the time I got to recreating the flier I had time for only a brief
introduction to recreating it. Nevertheless, it turned out to be an
excellent pedagogic method. Teach by hands-on doing, rather than just
by telling. After all, we already have help files and an excellent
manual that tell.

>Beyond that, they could get feedback on design, especially creating
>pleasing design according to the intended purpose of their documents.

How much can we teach art and design?