[scribus] Headlines

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 21:46:43 CET 2010

On 12/03/2010 01:28 PM, jwminer at accessvt.com wrote:
> J.J.Jordan replied:
>>> How can I get headlines automaticly. I should like a tool where I
>>> can
>>> make a headline that automatic will change all the headlines.
>>> I make a monthly magazine and in the headlines we put the name of
>>> the
>>> month.Perhaps you can help me.
>>> I hope the English Iused is clear enough.
>>> Thank You.
>>
>> It sounds as if you need to find out about styles. You can create a
>> text style that sets the specific font, point size, and many, many
>> more
>> attributes. Then you just click on each headline and apply the
>> style.
>> Thus, each headline will have the same appearance. If you want to
>> change the appearance of all the headlines, just edit the style and
>> all
>> the headlines will automatically be reformatted.
>
> I didn't understand his problem that way. It seems he wants
> something that will automatically change the MONTH in the headline
> for each new issue. A paragraph style won't do this, it will just
> apply the style to each headline and if you make a change to the
> style, it will automatically be applied to every paragraph using
> that style.
>
> I'm a total dummy when it comes to scripting, but my guess is that a
> script could be written that would automate these changes.

I think the way to go here is Edit > Search/Replace, either in Edit
Contents mode, or in Story Editor. Just search the particular frames
where this is contained.

Not only can you specify a particular text string to look for, but also
one in a particular style, then replace in the same style or a different
one. Thus, you can avoid finding every time the name of the month is
used in your text, and select when it's used as a heading.

A script would be possible, but actually not so easy, unless you want to
have a separate frame with only the heading in it. You can certainly
search the text of a frame, but Search/Replace would be more efficient.

Greg