[scribus] Akademy invitation

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 9 19:15:23 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 9. April 2010 08:46:40 schrieb a.l.e:
> hi

> > 2. Whether KDE 4 is terrible lies in the eye of the beholder/user,
> > and personally I happen to disagree with you.
>
> the distributions i know, don't offer both a version of the
> software with kdelib dependences and one without it: in my
> opinion, integrating any software which is not a core tool in the
> desktop environment is a pain for everybody who happens to have a
> lightweight system (and doesn't want to install kde).
>
> we have more and more half baked solution for gnome, kde, xcfe, qt,
> kde, and so on which can't be merged because their basically not
> compatible (i talk about applications for mails, calendars, music
> playing, web browsing, drawing, managing photos, ...)
>
> there may be some good reasons why some applications get implemented in
> two ways, but it's not healthy when the goal of each
> frameworks is to exclusively "attract" more and more applications in
> their "world".
>

> so, dear kde folks, what i can suggest to you, is to look for a way to
> let QT integrate with KDE at runtime (depending on the availability
> of the kdelibs).
> or look at the problem the other way around: how can kde (and gnome and
> xfce, ...) offer its services to scribus without expecting the scribus
> devs to target your specific desktop environment?
> i don't know who you have invited to your kde conference, but -- imho
> -- you should be inviting the gnome, gtk, trolltech, enlightenment,
> xfce folks and find with them how to enhance the kde integration of
> most of the applications being developed without kde.
>
> your invitation to the scribus team looks to me like a lobbying act
> tending to get scribus to become a kde app. this is something against
> which a random slackware user will react emotionally...
> and this is something makes me shake my head.

I think your choice of words is inappropriate. This is an invitation to an
Open Source conference. Akademy has earned an excellent reputation, and to
excoriate such an invitation as a "lobbying act" is impolite, to say the
least.

I know that you prefer a lightweight DE, so you don't have install KDE. If you
want to use a KDE program you have to install some KDE libraries. If you want
to use a Java program, you have to install Java, if you want to use a Gnome
program, you have to install some Gnome libs. It has been that way for years
and is unlikely to change.

As for better interoperability between desktop environments, please don't tell
me you haven't followed the efforts made in recent years!

There are good reasons as to why Scribus is not a KDE program, and these can
be discussed during Akademy. It will also be possible to discuss better
integration between KDE and pure Qt programs. That's what such events are for
in the first place.

Attacking someone because he sends out an invitation is childish, so please
stop it.

Christoph