[scribus] Crop capability.

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 15:10:20 CEST 2010

On 04/08/2010 07:18 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi dai,
>
>> I know Scribus is not meant to edit text like a text editor but could
>> something like TinyMCE be incorporated into scribus as a plugin
>>
>> http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/
>>
>> not sure if is possible as TinyMCE is for web stuff but there might be
>> somethig similar out there. If you do this as a plugin you preserve
>> Scribus as a layout program but allow individuals to add that bit
>> axtra if they wish to.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> no, i don't think that it would make much sense.
>
> - tinymce is developed in javascript which is a language for the web. i don't think their library can be used by a c++ program like scribus or integrated into qt (btw, qt has similar libraries, too)
>
> - tinymce does not support any of the advanced formatting features in scribus

I think what we already have should suffice -- a connection to Gimp or
some other tool to crop (and obviously much more). As Christoph said,
use of something for cropping is going to be a destructive process if
it's going to help by reducing file size -- if it's set up to not be
destructive, you might just as well not bother, since there already is
"pretend cropping", i.e., only showing a part of an image in a frame.

If there was a quick plugin way to do this, I would anticipate some
gnashing of teeth when someone realized they just destroyed their
original image.

Greg