[scribus] Business Cards from Scribus?

Bill Lawry inov8tn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:39:38 CEST 2009

I clicked on http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/8879.sla and the link
opened in IE.  I copied the source to Notepad and saved it as an sla file.
The OS recognizes it as a Scribus file but when I tried to open it with
Scribus I received a popup that complained that it wasn't in the right
format.

I used Notepad to visually compare the 8879.sla file (generally) to one that
I had used Scribus to save and noticed that the first line in the 8879.sla
file as opened by IE had "  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>" without
the (") marks as the first line.  Was this added by IE ?.  I removed that
first line but the complaint remains the same.

Also, (perhaps off topic, but) Scribis is installed in c:\program Files
(x86) and initially couldn't find Ghostscript which is installed in
c:\Program Files.  (You've probably figured out that I'm running Vista). So
I 'Changed' the 'External Tools' in Scribis Preferences to look for
Ghostscript in Program Files ( C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.70/bin/gswin32c.exe )
and solved the 'Missing GhostScript' issue but not the 'Fatal Error - File -
<file name>.sla is not in an acceptable format.' issue.  I guess I could
uninstall it and reinstall it in Program Files but I'd rather leave well
enough alone and not try what may turn out to be an incomplete uninstall
unless there is a known benefit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Bill