[scribus] explanation of previous query & LittleCMS

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Tue Sep 8 14:29:49 CEST 2009

> ? While I?ve got your attention, I wanted to ask one more question if I may:? What about LittleCMS in Scribus?? Will I be able to achieve a decent color balance for my photos [and possibly other graphic images] using this utility, without having to concern myself with externally applied profiles, even if it involves a little trial and error?? Anyway, thanks again.

LittleCMS is the library used by Scribus to handle profiles. Without
profiles LittleCMS can do nothing.

The way to avoid having to mess with profiles is to turn color
management in Scribus off (which esentially means turning LittleCMS
off). Then you don't have to even think about profiles, but you should
not be surprised if pictures come out looking "wrong".

But I think most people today are used to "bad" quality pictures (if
you print straight from your camera to an inkjet printer, like many
people do today, you get what you get without being able to adjust
anything). If they get a print that looks wrong they consider it to be
a "bad picture" and wouldn't know that it could be adjusted to look
good.

/Peter