[scribus] explanation of previous query & LittleCMS

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 18:51:17 CEST 2009

Peter Nermander wrote:

>> ? While I?ve got your attention, I wanted to ask one more question
 >>if I may:? What about LittleCMS in Scribus?? Will I be able to
 >>achieve a decent color balance for my photos [and possibly other
 >>graphic images] using this utility, without having to concern myself
 >>with externally applied profiles, even if it involves a little trial
 >>and error?? Anyway, thanks again.
>
> LittleCMS is the library used by Scribus to handle profiles. Without
> profiles LittleCMS can do nothing.
>
> The way to avoid having to mess with profiles is to turn color
> management in Scribus off (which esentially means turning LittleCMS
> off). Then you don't have to even think about profiles, but you should
> not be surprised if pictures come out looking "wrong".
>
> But I think most people today are used to "bad" quality pictures (if
> you print straight from your camera to an inkjet printer, like many
> people do today, you get what you get without being able to adjust
> anything). If they get a print that looks wrong they consider it to be
> a "bad picture" and wouldn't know that it could be adjusted to look
> good.

:)   I think there is a huge tranche of people between those who adjust
nothing and those who use CMS.

Most people get some sort of image manipulation tool with their cameras,
though Gimp, Photoshop et al no doubt generally do a better job.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,AIEMA,MEI
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy