[scribus] What is Signal 6?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 02:12:46 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:39:03 +0100
> John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> dijo:
>
>> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>>> Scribus 1.3.5 RC3 on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64.
>>>
>>> I am getting "Scribus crashed due to signal 6."
>>>
>>> I have a long document of 98 MB that I need to make some modifications
>>> to. It is kind of painful to work in this document because Scribus is
>>> so slow with it. The document is composed of student exercises, each of
>>> which varies from one or two pages to eight pages. So I created new
>>> documents for each of the six exercises that I need to modify, setting
>>> each up with the same document setup as the original (margins, grid,
>>> etc.). Then I opened the original document and navigated to each
>>> exercise, copying the text frames for each exercise into the new
>>> document for that exercise. As soon as each new document had the frames
>>> and text that I needed to modify I saved the new document and closed
>>> it. My plan is to do the modifications in the new small documents, then
>>> copy and paste the text back into the frames in the original document.
>
>> As a work around, can you save the original document under a new name,
>> then delete the pages you don't need so that you are only left with the
>> ones that you need ?
>
> Heh. Great minds think alike. I just did that a few minutes ago. :)

Good -  I'd have done it that way as a matter of instinct, but I don't
know of any reason why your original approach shouldn't work.

> It worked, except now I have another mess. You see, this whole thing is
> a workaround for another problem - the embedded graphic lines that
> failed to make it into the PDF. I am removing the lines and replacing
> with a right-tab with underscore. Except doing that required editing
> the style that I used for the text. And when I applied the new style it
> undid all my careful manual kerning, so now I have to go through and
> redo all that.

Sympathies !

> It's just not my day to work in Scribus, I tell ya.

Take a deep breath !

> I can even predict the next fiasco. After fixing this one exercise that
> I am doing as an experiment, I will open the original document, then
> copy and paste the fixed text into the frames in the original document
> where it belongs. But the fixed text has an altered style. How much you
> wanna bet ...?
>
> Well, we'll see in about an hour. :)

:)

Good luck !

Cheers. J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor