[scribus] What is Signal 6?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 03:57:48 CEST 2009

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:12:46 +0100
John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> dijo:

> > I can even predict the next fiasco. After fixing this one exercise that
> > I am doing as an experiment, I will open the original document, then
> > copy and paste the fixed text into the frames in the original document
> > where it belongs. But the fixed text has an altered style. How much you
> > wanna bet ...?
> >
> > Well, we'll see in about an hour. :)

I came close to succeeding, although the way I intended didn't work at
all.

I copied the text in the little document to the clipboard. Then I
opened the original document and deleted the text from the frames in
question, followed by pasting in the text from the little document. The
new style from the little document didn't make it. So I deleted the
text, imported the style, then repasted in the text from the
little document. Still no new style. Apparently styles don't copy and
paste with the text. The only way I could get the new style was to
apply the new style to the pasted text. And there goes all the manual
kerning again. :(

It might be possible to use Get Text, but I can't get Scribus to save
the text from the little document as a text file. It says it's saving
it, but it does not create the text file. Furthermore, even if it
worked, apparently it saves only as raw text, so all formatting would
be lost anyway.

So then I just deleted the frames in the original document and copied
and pasted the frames from the little document. That worked! The text
came with the frame and the style and manual formatting was intact.
Except, that is, for one strange item. I had manually applied a
baseline shift to the tab+underscore because the default was too low.
For some reason this formatting didn't make it.

I can reapply the baseline shift to all 80 instances in this exercise,
but I have to do it in the canvas because the option to apply baseline
shift does not appear in the Story Editor. It's so slow to edit this
document in the canvas that it will take about 25 minutes to do them
all. And I have five more exercises to fix. Oh well, at least I have a
methodology that works now.