[scribus] What is Signal 6?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 01:54:17 CEST 2009

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:39:03 +0100
John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > Scribus 1.3.5 RC3 on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64.
> >
> > I am getting "Scribus crashed due to signal 6."
> >
> > I have a long document of 98 MB that I need to make some modifications
> > to. It is kind of painful to work in this document because Scribus is
> > so slow with it. The document is composed of student exercises, each of
> > which varies from one or two pages to eight pages. So I created new
> > documents for each of the six exercises that I need to modify, setting
> > each up with the same document setup as the original (margins, grid,
> > etc.). Then I opened the original document and navigated to each
> > exercise, copying the text frames for each exercise into the new
> > document for that exercise. As soon as each new document had the frames
> > and text that I needed to modify I saved the new document and closed
> > it. My plan is to do the modifications in the new small documents, then
> > copy and paste the text back into the frames in the original document.

> As a work around, can you save the original document under a new name,
> then delete the pages you don't need so that you are only left with the
> ones that you need ?

Heh. Great minds think alike. I just did that a few minutes ago. :)

It worked, except now I have another mess. You see, this whole thing is
a workaround for another problem - the embedded graphic lines that
failed to make it into the PDF. I am removing the lines and replacing
with a right-tab with underscore. Except doing that required editing
the style that I used for the text. And when I applied the new style it
undid all my careful manual kerning, so now I have to go through and
redo all that.

It's just not my day to work in Scribus, I tell ya.

I can even predict the next fiasco. After fixing this one exercise that
I am doing as an experiment, I will open the original document, then
copy and paste the fixed text into the frames in the original document
where it belongs. But the fixed text has an altered style. How much you
wanna bet ...?

Well, we'll see in about an hour. :)