[scribus] Huge PDF, need suggestions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 07:42:42 CEST 2009

I have a document of 97 MB created in 1.3.5 RC3 on Jaunty x86_64. The
document is 132 pages. There are lots of PS images, but no bitmaps.

I exported to PDF embedding all nine fonts used in the document. The
resulting PDF was 207 MB. I tried printing just two pages from Adobe
Reader 9.1/Linux and from Okular, but I killed both after waiting 20
minutes for output. Also, it took nearly ten minutes for either program
to open the file.

Subseqently I exported to PDF and converted all nine fonts to outlines.
The resulting PDF is 203 MB. And I get the same results opening the
file and trying to print.

I can print directly from Scribus more effectively - only ten minutes
to print two pages. But even that is hopelessly slow.

Can someone suggest PDF export options that will result in a file that
I can print?