[scribus] Colour Profiles

davecs d4vecs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 02:01:27 CEST 2009

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:29:18 -0400
> From: Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com<https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&ui=1&to=gregp_ky@yahoo.com>
> >
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Colour Profiles

> On 09/02/2009 04:35 PM, davecs wrote:
> > I have been searching, without success, for colour profiles for my
> monitor
> > and printer. The monitor is an LG W2242S, and it is displaying a photo
> > exactly as I want it printed. The printer is an HP Photosmart 7760. If I
> > don't use colour profiles, the dark parts of the print are far too dark,
> > meaning that slight shadows across someone's face, which look quite
> natural
> > on my admittedly cheap monitor, come out too dark, and detail is
> obscured.
> > However, if I do use the default ICC profiles, the photo comes out darker
> > still, with a horrible red cast as well.
> >
> > I've looked on the internet, HP site, etc, and cannot find an ICC
> profile.
> > What would be nice is a program where you can visually adjust your
> onscreen
> > image to match what comes out the printer, so that settings can be
> recorded
> > and next time the printer compensates.
> >
> I think you've got it a little backwards. Having your monitor calibrated
> is a bit tricky, and really the monitor is a visual aid, which you hope
> to match to printed output. Fiddling with the colors using an
> uncalibrated monitor is generally bound to give bad results. If you
> cannot find some kind of baseline profile from the monitor from the
> monitor's manufacturer, you would have to buy the equipment (hardware)
> to do this yourself -- there is free software to help with this. If you
> check the online docs about color management you will find more details.
>
> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=cms
>
> For photos, there should be an ICC profile for the image file that you
> want to use, and you can set this in Preferences in Scribus.
>
> One mistake some make with local printers (ie, one attached to your
> computer) is to use the "Printer" setting for the Color tab in PDF
> Export. You really should use the Screen/Web setting most of the time.
> You might also check your printer settings in your OS.
> Setting Printer is for when you take your work to a commercial printer.
>
> Greg
>

> I didn't mess around with the photo at all to make it look balanced on
screen, it is exactly as loaded. My monitor was already set to 6500K and I
am impressed how natural photos look on it generally speaking, if they are
taken in good light or in range of the flash. Despite it being cheap, it's
hard to fault. Clearly though, the colour balance I am getting from the
printer doesn't match and I have no idea what to do about it as I cannot get
an icc file for the printer. I didn't export to PDF, but printed directly
from Scribus. I always export to Screen/Web setting as that's what the help
popup tells me to do.

Didn't find the doc very helpful, as the process for setting the monitor
just showed that it's pretty good without being touched, and I still haven't
a clue how to find a profile for the printer.

Dave