[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 19, Issue 42, using Scribus on ubuntu jaunty

Michael F. Chamness michael at chamness-machina.com
Fri Oct 23 05:59:50 CEST 2009

I'm using Scribus 1.3.3.12 on ubuntu jaunty 9.04 to do a weekly church bulletin cover, and two quarterly 8-page newsletters for amputee support groups, one in Nebraska and the other in California. I have used Scribus on Windows XP and VISTA for those projects for about two years, having migrated from QuarkXpress v.6.5, and have found Scribus to be every bit as useful and versatile as Quark. I had been a Quark user since the middle 1990's, starting with v.3 for Windows. Using Linux in its ubuntu flavor is new for me, having just started to move over to Linux this past summer, but so far the move has been very easy. Formerly I had been a Mandrake Linux user several years ago, found that setup to be confusing and difficult, requiring many start-overs to get it right. Loading the ubuntu from the CD supplied me was very quick and easy, and the Gnome interface is so much improved over what it used to be that I've remained with it, instead of using the KDE. From what I've seen so far, ubuntu will do almost everything I need to do as well as Windows, and although I like Windows VISTA Home Premium, my idea is to eventually do everything in Linux. Currently I have Windows on an eMachine EL1210-09, and the ubuntu is on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M55e, they are networked together using Samba. Scribus is an excellent publishing program, the only wish I might have is for it to have a separate frame utility like Quark, but using the one provided in the Scribus color menu works well, its just an extra step, adding one more layer. Getting used to using the properties format instead of the Quark tool bar and drop down menus took a while to adjust to, but all applications have their learning curves, they just requires patience and persistence.