[scribus] the Ubuntu conundrum

avox avox at arcor.de
Fri Oct 23 14:28:04 CEST 2009

FourBrane wrote:

> Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>This has been disussed with Ubuntu devs in the past. There are bug reports
in
>>launchpad and one or more discusion threads on the Ubuntu ML.
>
> I just went to Launchpad. There are a grand total of 32 bugs mentioning
> Scribus. Just ONE is
> marked "high importance" and "confirmed" and it's old as dirt (April 2006)
> and was actually
> filed against SCIM-Qtimm.
>
> It claimed that when entering numbers into real number fields, the
> number was always reset to 0 with both scribus 1.2.4.1 dfsg-1ubuntu4
> package
> from ubuntu main and a self-built scribus 1.3.3 from the scribus
> development branch. It
> says, "Possibly a problem with qt."
>
> Now, note that the claim was "possibly" a problem with QT...except that
> Scribus 1.3.5 -- using the
> exact same QT package -- doesn't have the bug. So, the bug, if it ever
> existed (I'm pretty sure I had
> 1.3.3 on my box at some point as I update automatically and I don't
> recall seeing it), seems to have flown off
> into the night with a revision to Scribus, not QT.

This bug existed for Scribus < 1.3.4 and Qt3. The Qt package in Ubuntu was
compiled with the unsupported qtimm-patch (so it was not the same as the one
distributed by Trolltech) and caused a variety of problems with Scribus. Of
course it only triggered on systems which relied on input methods, so
British and American users were mostyl save. Unfortunately it also triggered
for languages with accents, since for some arcane reason qtimm (or the
Ubuntu configuration thereof) choose to implement dead chars with an inout
method :-(

> Looking through all other bugs for Scribus on Ubuntu, no others mention
> QT.  There are a few of
> those lovely crashes we used to enjoy, even one filed this week
> (although that user upgraded to
> 9.10 and clearly had something go wrong in the process. Now, he's
> blaming Scribus.
>
> Anyway, Craig, it might be time to revisit your fixed conviction that
> there is a so-called "QT problem" on Ubuntu.
> It doesn't seem to be well supported by facts.

My impression is that there are far less problems with Scribus 1.3.5 and
later Ubuntu versions.
But back in the Qt3 days there was rarely a week where not at least one
Ubuntu user complained
about Scribus not working there.

So, all-in-all I'd agree that it's time to stop telling people Ubuntu is all
bad and concentrate on resolving the remaining issues (and I'm sure some of
those have to be blamed on Scribus).

/Andreas