[scribus] the Ubuntu conundrum

Patrick Wallace mental at mentalware.com
Thu Oct 22 11:15:14 CEST 2009

Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

>This has been disussed with Ubuntu devs in the past. There are bug reports in
>launchpad and one or more discusion threads on the Ubuntu ML.

I just went to Launchpad. There are a grand total of 32 bugs mentioning Scribus. Just ONE is
marked "high importance" and "confirmed" and it's old as dirt (April 2006) and was actually
filed against SCIM-Qtimm.

It claimed that when entering numbers into real number fields, the
number was always reset to 0 with both scribus 1.2.4.1 dfsg-1ubuntu4 package
from ubuntu main and a self-built scribus 1.3.3 from the scribus development branch. It
says, "Possibly a problem with qt."

Now, note that the claim was "possibly" a problem with QT...except that
Scribus 1.3.5 -- using the
exact same QT package -- doesn't have the bug. So, the bug, if it ever
existed (I'm pretty sure I had
1.3.3 on my box at some point as I update automatically and I don't
recall seeing it), seems to have flown off
into the night with a revision to Scribus, not QT.

Looking through all other bugs for Scribus on Ubuntu, no others mention
QT.  There are a few of
those lovely crashes we used to enjoy, even one filed this week
(although that user upgraded to
9.10 and clearly had something go wrong in the process. Now, he's
blaming Scribus.

Anyway, Craig, it might be time to revisit your fixed conviction that
there is a so-called "QT problem" on Ubuntu.
It doesn't seem to be well supported by facts.

Patrick Wallace