[scribus] fontmatrix makes firefox go gah gah

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 20 16:08:36 CEST 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009 10:56:06 Steven Dayton wrote:
> The version of Fontmatrix that you can get to easily from the
Ubuntu
> Add/Install utitility is an older version that just dosen't work. I
never
> could get it to work. The newer version (I believe it is 0.60 or
something
> like that) does work however. It is a bit clunky but at least it
works. You
> have to install it using the command line in the Termnial. There
are some
> instructions on how to do it that are not to difficult to follow (I
had to
> do it a couple of times before I got it right).
>
> I also tried Fonty Python but I just couldn't figure out how to get
it to
> work so I got rid of it.
>
> It is encouraging to hear someone say Scribus works like a
charm on
> OpenSUSE because that is what I am go to try next. I like Linux
but must
> admit that there is a big learning curve that goes with it and my
patience
> has been tried so often that I'm starting to loose count. I'm not
ready to
> give up on it yet though.
>
> StevenD
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 06:19, Alexandre Prokoudine <
>
> alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM, dwain wrote:
> > > to my understanding, fonty python is only for ttf fonts.
> >
> > This really isn't so. It works with OTF, Type1 and TTC since
0.3.0,
> > that is -- since January 2008.
> >
> > Alexandre

I have success with nightly downloads of Scribus 1.3.5 (aka 1.3.6)
on my Slackware system. I did not have to add on anything like
fontmatrix.  When I boot, a font configuration program runs
automatically (forget the name.)

Slackware is what we call in programming a lower level language.
It does less for you automatically than e.g. Ubuntu. It lacks the
convenience features like apt-get But it uses the standard kernel
and the original Qt4 (Slackware 13.)  If I were to install fontmatrix
I would download the latest tarball, unpack, ./configure, make,
make install.  I would not be dependent on the Jaunty depository
because there is no exact equivalent in Slackware. A site called
SlackBuild is the closest equivalent.

 I do also have an Xubuntu (Ubuntu plus XFCE) partition and a Win
XP partition. But I live in Slackware.

I went through many gyrations to install Inkscape 47 pre4 on
Slackware. Installing Inkscape 47 pre0 on Xubuntu was much
easier. But I now have a later version running on Slack.

Compared to Ubuntu Slack is more learning and more work but
gives one greater ultimate control.  I prefer it.  Others may not.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"