[scribus] fontmatrix makes firefox go gah gah

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:50:34 CEST 2009

dwain said the following at 10/18/2009 10:58 PM :
> i'm trying very hard to make linux my production machine.  i have many fonts
> that i would like to install.  i hope not to begin a flame war and i
> understand the sentiments of using ubuntu of some on this list, but whenever
> i install fontmatrix (version included with jaunty), firefox does not
> display text.

I will read the rest of this lengthy thread later today when I have time,
But I just wanted to respond immediately to this first posting to say that
I have been running fontmatrix with FF as my main browser on jaunty for
several months, and certainly haven't seen anything like this behaviour. So
I don't think it can be a fundamental problem in jaunty.

> i know this because since reinstalling ubuntu and not fontmatrix i have not
> had this problem.  i have read on the list that the version in jaunty is
> pretty buggy.  is there another fontmanager that is available that is not so

I don't know where you read that, nor what the definition of "pretty buggy"
might be; I don't use fontmatrix an enormous amount, but I have yet to come
across any obvious bugs in my use of it. Maybe there are some subtle ones
which I probably wouldn't stumble on in my rather ordinary use of it -- I
just use it to preview fonts for use in scribus.

I'll read the rest of thread later. I'm sorry if others have already
pointed out that on their machines the combination of FF, jaunty and
fontmatrix works fine.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR