[scribus] the Ubuntu conundrum

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 21 05:41:48 CEST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:29:41 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

> > getting a ubuntu hacker (or better the ubuntu qt packagers) to talk
> > with the scribus and fontmatrix teams would be even better!

> Yes, I think that we need input from Ubuntu users to continue, and not
> just to this list. If we can identify problems that occur with Ubuntu
> yet not with other distros, then users also need to get this information
> to Canonical. Especially with the increasing presence of Ubuntu and the
> strong interest that users have in Scribus, this is something that they
> should be interested in solving.
>
> If we are a project that is repeatedly telling those with Ubuntu to
> switch, we will not be making friends where we need them.

I agree completely. Telling Ubuntu users to switch is just not going to
work. Once a user has an OS installed and is happy with it, they are
going to blame Scribus for problems, not their OS. They may be
ill-advised, but that is going to be their reaction.

I can't address the issues of QT on Ubuntu because so far I haven't
found a single post from anyone telling me exactly what Ubuntu does
with QT that is wrong. I'm not for a minute suggesting that there are
not issues; I'm just saying that some specifics would be helpful. I
have an account on Launchpad and would be delighted to post a bug
issue. I am also a veteran of the Ubuntu forums and would be more than
happy to bring up issues. But posting "Scribus developers say that
Ubuntu does bad things to QT" is not going to get me very far.

Ubuntu is hands down the leading desktop version of Linux. DTP people
tend to be oriented toward art and design, not programming and computer
development. It is only natural that they would choose a
desktop-oriented distro. We really need to make peace with Ubuntu.