[scribus] fontmatrix makes firefox go gah gah

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:44:47 CEST 2009

D. R. Evans said the following at 10/20/2009 08:50 AM :
> dwain said the following at 10/18/2009 10:58 PM :
>> i'm trying very hard to make linux my production machine.  i have many fonts
>> that i would like to install.  i hope not to begin a flame war and i
>> understand the sentiments of using ubuntu of some on this list, but whenever
>> i install fontmatrix (version included with jaunty), firefox does not
>> display text.
>
> I will read the rest of this lengthy thread later today when I have time,

Having read it, I see lots of fairly subdued and well-controlled ranting,
some opinions, but not a single explicit description of a precise bug that
might be helpful guidance for any developer or packager who would like to
fix either the OP's problem or any other problem in the combination of
Ubuuntu/FF/scribus/whatever.

Working on the assumption that we're all on the same side and want things
to get better, then if we really think we have found a problem of some kind
we owe it to the developer or packager to provide a precise description
(or, to put it a bit more bluntly, "just doesn't work" is almost certainly
going to be ignored, even if -- for you -- it's true).

My experience over many (many) years of working with developers on open
source projects is that even applications that simply crash on startup need
to have that crash properly documented... because obviously the crash
didn't occur on the developer's machine, and he needs to be given help in
finding out why it's crashing on your machine.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR