[scribus] Barcode broken?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 20 14:42:44 CEST 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009 20:42:31 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> 978-1-878572-25
The Scribus barcode generator is very fussy. I eventually keyed in
your entire 13 digits, no dashes and no carriage return at the end.
I got the message "barcode incomplete" until the last digit was
keyed in. Then the barcode  appeared in the box.

If you key in dashes it doesn't work. If you cut and paste the
number it doesn't work. If you leave off the check digit it doesn't
work. If you add a carriage return (enter key) at the end it doesn't
work.

I prefer to use the bookland.py barcode generator hosted by
www.tux.org (a TeX site).  I have downloaded the python script to
my Linux system. Then I ran a little COBOL program that
generated all the available barcodes in my block of 1000 numbers
and gave each a file name.  When I need a barcode e.g.
978-1-60019-001-5 I import file x001.ps into my Scribus book
cover.

 If I need a price code barcode (other than 90000) also I can rerun
bookland.py and get both properly spaced on a single ps file.

I did have to download a free OCRB font and make it available to
Xwindows.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"