[scribus] Barcode broken?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 16 02:42:31 CEST 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:03:01 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> adding the initial 978 is a bad idea. We will see 979 prefixes in the
> not too distant future.
>
> If you enter a 10 digit ISBN the resulting 13 digit barcode and
> number underneath will have a different check digit. Did you enter
> only 10 digits? 10 digit ISBNS are obsolete now.

The total (13-digit) barcode I wanted to generate is 978-1-878572-25-7.
This was originally assigned to me as a 10-digit code, 1-878572-25-3.
The last number of each of those codes is the checksum, and both are
correct. I converted the 10-digit to 13-digit outside of Scribus. I
verified that the checksum for the 13-digit was correct at my account
at bowkerlink.com.

In order to get the script to create the barcode correctly I had to
enter 1-878572-25. The script then added the 978 in front and the
checksum at the end. If I added the 978 in front and/or the checksum at
the end the script failed. And when it failed it used the default
(sample) checksum to create the barcode.