[scribus] Barcode broken?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Oct 16 02:03:01 CEST 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009 12:12:44 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:43:49 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:
> > On Wednesday 14 October 2009 17:31:17 John Jason Jordan
wrote:
> > > Using 1.3.5 RC3 on Ubuntu.
> > >
> > > I am trying to enter a barcode, specifically
978-1-878572-25-7.
> > > Have I misunderstood the user interface?
> >
> > Are you sure the check digit is OK?
>
> Yes, the check digit is fine.
>
> The list was down for a while or I would have posted the
solution right
> away.
>
> It turns out that you *cannot* enter the check digit. The script
> automatically generates the check digit (and adds the initial
978). If
> you enter the check digit the script interprets your code as
incorrect,
> then goes back to the default code and creates the barcode
according to
> the default.
>
> The user interface needs a bit of tweaking here. The above
information
> should be displayed in the window so users will know they have
to leave
> off the check digit and the initial 978.
>
> Also, I see a potential for a massive and expensive error
happening. I
> entered my code and the script created the barcode for the
default code
> without warning me that it was not using my code. If I had not
noticed
> that the numbers under the barcode were not my numbers I
might have
> placed the barcode on the document, thinking it was correct.
What if I
> didn't discover it was incorrect until after a bookstore returned
the
> first shipment of books?

adding the initial 978 is a bad idea. We will see 979 prefixes in the
not too distant future.

If you enter a 10 digit ISBN the resulting 13 digit barcode and
number underneath will have a different check digit. Did you enter
only 10 digits? 10 digit ISBNS are obsolete now.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"