[scribus] Barcode broken?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 19:55:49 CEST 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:12:33 -0600
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan said the following at 10/15/2009 10:12 AM :
>

> > Also, I see a potential for a massive and expensive error happening. I
> > entered my code and the script created the barcode for the default code
> > without warning me that it was not using my code. If I had not noticed
> > that the numbers under the barcode were not my numbers I might have
> > placed the barcode on the document, thinking it was correct. What if I
> > didn't discover it was incorrect until after a bookstore returned the
> > first shipment of books?
>
> Man, you had me very worried there for a moment. I had to go check my most
> recent book, which has been published but hasn't yet hit retail outlets.
> Phew, it was fine.
>
> I created the barcode the same way I have always done: by entering the ISBN
> exactly as issued -- all the numbers, including the check.
>
> Maybe the behaviour you describe is a recent change (regression?), because
> I am using 1.3.5svn from 26 January, 2009, which is what the is contained
> in the official current Kubuntu scribus-ng package; and like I say, that
> seems to work fine.

I think the last time I used it was with approximately the same version
as you have. As I recall, it worked the same way you describe - I
entered the entire code, including the checksum, and it created the
barcode correctly.

You may be right that there have been some bad changes. If I wasn't so
swamped right now I'd run off to look online at the changes between your
version and RC3. Haven't got time right now.