[scribus] Trilingual template - design ideas

Gerard Cunningham gerard at faduda.net
Sat Nov 28 15:29:47 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 07:17 -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 28 November 2009 08:58:16 Gerard Cunningham
> wrote:
> > This isn't strictly a Scribus issue, but I thought I'd ask for ideas
> > anyway.
> >
> > I've produced a guidebook, basically an A5 publication
> containing ext
> > and descriptions, whih allows visitors to retrace an early
> medieval
> > pilgrimage spot.
> >
> > Anyway, the spec has changed, and I've now been asked to
> create a
> > trilingual version (English, Irish and Scots Gallic). The suggested
> > revision is that I cram three columns into each page, which
> frankly
> > won't work. As an alternative, I suggested either (a) doing the
> three
> > languages sequentially, or (b) preserving the current English
> pages and
> > adding facing pages, and on the facing pages putting the
> translations in
> > two columns.
> >
> > So my question is, has anyone here ever done similar, and do
> you have
> > any templates/proofs I could look at for inspiration.
> It is of course possible to lay out the the book with a wide page.

I assume widebook means landscape rather than portrait orientation?

> I have a nice book on my shelf "The Artist's Guide to Gimp
> Effects" that has dimensions of roughly 10 x 8 inches.

That would mean doubling up in size from A5 to A4, if my vaguely
remembered imperial measures are accurate. Unfortunately, that's not
something I can do. A5 it is, and A5 it must remain. Any larger, and it
won't fit conveniently in a trekker's pocket.

>  And my e-
> book below is in two columns on a 11 x 8.5 in page layout. The
> uses larger than normal type (14 pt) since it is intended for
> on line reading as well as printing out.

At the moment the type is 12pt Arial, since I got usability complaints
whenever I went smaller. (I'm not wedded to Arial, but I am limited for
now to freely licensed fonts)

--
Gerard Cunningham
Journalist