[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Sat Nov 28 10:09:08 CET 2009

On 11/28/2009 07:37 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Two days ago I installed Fedora 12. Just now I lost the window manager
> and panels again. Sure enough, it uses Gnome 2.28.0.
>
>> From past experience it is unrepairable unless I reinstall. And then it
> will just happen again.

I think you need to use a major distribution that you like and _know
well_. Of course you don't need to reinstall any linux distro just to
change your desktop. E.g. in Fedora, if you want KDE, create a text file
/etc/sysconfig/desktop containing a single line: DESKTOP=KDE, make sure
you have kde packages (run the commmand "yum install kdebase") and you
are set. Your desktop settings are in .kde/ of your home directory. If
you save that, you won't lose your settings.
No distribution saves you from the trouble of having to learn the
details if you want stability and bleeding edge software at the same
time. It is easy to compile scribus on Fedora, that's what I do.

					Yours: Laszlo