[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 28 14:58:24 CET 2009

On 11/28/2009 04:09 AM, Tornóci László wrote:
> On 11/28/2009 07:37 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> Two days ago I installed Fedora 12. Just now I lost the window manager
>> and panels again. Sure enough, it uses Gnome 2.28.0.
>>
>>> From past experience it is unrepairable unless I reinstall. And then it
>> will just happen again.
>
> I think you need to use a major distribution that you like and _know
> well_. Of course you don't need to reinstall any linux distro just to
> change your desktop. E.g. in Fedora, if you want KDE, create a text
> file /etc/sysconfig/desktop containing a single line: DESKTOP=KDE,
> make sure you have kde packages (run the commmand "yum install
> kdebase") and you are set. Your desktop settings are in .kde/ of your
> home directory. If you save that, you won't lose your settings.
> No distribution saves you from the trouble of having to learn the
> details if you want stability and bleeding edge software at the same
> time. It is easy to compile scribus on Fedora, that's what I do.
I think that, depending on your point-of-view and interest, here are the
considerations:

- whether reasonably up-to-date Scribus binaries are readily available
for the distro
- whether the ingredients for compiling on your own are readily available
- whether the distro is reasonably KDE/Qt friendly, even if you plan to
use Gnome
- whether other DTP-related apps (for fonts, color management, vector
drawing...) are also readily available

This is not a very restrictive collection of considerations, so you are
still left with several good choices. At some point you will have to
throw your own dart, and hope for the best.

Greg