[scribus] Windows 7

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 20:37:27 CET 2009

Richard wrote:

> That's because when the system was manufactured there were not memory
> modules to go beyond 1GB, as when the Vostro did the absolute maximum
> was 4GB. That does'nt mean you will not be able to put more ram, but
> also does'nt mean you will be able to do it.

Agreed.

> If you go to (at least) gigabyte motherboards site, and search for AMD
> motherboards you'll find they claim about the "current maximum" because
> they could'nt test bigger sims as hey was not available, but they don't
> discard you will be able to use more than the anounced memory on those
> motherboards.
> I have an old P3 Gateway laptop that claimed a maximum of 128MB, but is
> running on 256. Anyway, it does'nt handle "any" dimm.

Yes. I can't see anything that confirms or denies that the vostro 1700
will exceed 4 gig, but it's not urgent. I guess I'll go for the 64 bit
windows 7 and see how the need for memory develops over then next year
or so.

Many thanks all !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,AIEMA,MEI
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy