[scribus] Windows 7

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 12 17:12:33 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 18:25:17 John Beardmore
wrote:
> My laptop has trashed its XP boot disk.
>
> As I'm rebuilding from scratch, I though I might as well put a
more up
> to date OS on it.
>
> This machine has to be an MS OS, but as the reviews of
windows 7 suggest
> that they haven't made a complete vista of it, I thought I might
give
> that a go. So...
>
> Has anybody used Scribus 1.3.6 under windows 7 ?  (And for
that matter
> Gimp and possibly Inkscape ?)
>
> Further, is it worth considering the 64 bit version of windows 7 ?
Does
> that run the 32 bit scribus builds OK ?
>
> And in the long run, is it expected that there will be 64 bit
compiles
> of Scribus for windows 7 ?
>

> Cheers, J/.

You might find that the two partition method will allow you to run
all those software packages without difficulty on a Linux partition
and yet have an MSWin XP partition for those programs that run
only on that OS. In fact I have several partitions but I almost
never use the Windows one.  One useful program, Quantas, won't
run on Slackware Linux 13 so I keep a Slack 12.2 partition around
just for that one app.

I have a Win XP install disk and key. For my purposes I see no
reason to upgrade to Win 7.  Can anyone suggest one?

Vista is of course another story.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"