[scribus] Burning CD for "try out" GNU/Linux distro to use w/Scribus

Robert Marma robert_marma at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 14 14:37:09 CET 2009

To anyone in the group:

Hello again.  I don't get to follow the discussions as frequently as I would prefer, since I am not blessed to have Internet service where I live and have to wait to visit my daughter or the local library to log on.

I had bothered all of you a few months ago with a question regarding which version of GNU/Linux to use to compile Scribus, with a view to eventually writing my own customized code.  I would like to create a bootable or "live" CD in order to try out one or a few of the GNU/Linux distros on my Windows XP and Vista laptops, and was wondering where I could download ISO or other images for this experiment.  I actually downloaded and burned a Debian disc the other day, but it didn't boot, since it apparently was intended for a single-partition Linux installation or dual-partition Linux/Windows installation.  In case it matters, my laptops are far from being "high end", but I'm sure they would meet the minimum RAM/processor/HDD requirements.

Any advice and links you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Bob M.