[scribus] Burning CD for "try out" GNU/Linux distro to use w/Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 14 14:25:16 CET 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009 08:37:09 Robert Marma wrote:
> To anyone in the group:
>
> Hello again.  I don't get to follow the discussions as frequently
as I
> would prefer, since I am not blessed to have Internet service
where I live
> and have to wait to visit my daughter or the local library to log
on.

> I had bothered all of you a few months ago with a question
regarding which
> version of GNU/Linux to use to compile Scribus, with a view to
eventually
> writing my own customized code.  I would like to create a
bootable or
> "live" CD in order to try out one or a few of the GNU/Linux
distros on my
> Windows XP and Vista laptops, and was wondering where I
could download ISO
> or other images for this experiment.  I actually downloaded and
burned a
> Debian disc the other day, but it didn't boot, since it apparently
was
> intended for a single-partition Linux installation or dual-
partition
> Linux/Windows installation.  In case it matters, my laptops are
far from
> being "high end", but I'm sure they would meet the minimum
> RAM/processor/HDD requirements.
>
> Any advice and links you can offer would be greatly
appreciated.

> Bob M.

On my main box (32 bit) I run the 32 bit version of Slackware
Linux. I update the latest Scribus version (1.5.0) overnight every
night using a script.

I have in times past run Slackware in as little as 128 MB but I
don't suggest that today.

On my wife's HP Pavilion I installed the 64 bit version of
Slackware. Had to add the wicd program from the "extras"
directory on the install disk to get wireless connectivity to work.

The HP came with Vista and the HP folks swore Win XP wouldn't
work. But Slackware runs like a champ.

On both machines I run the XFCE gui instead of the disastrous
KDE4. All the KDE apps still work except for Quanta Plus. That I
run on an alternate partition with Slackware 12.2.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"