[scribus] automatically size text frame, font metrics Font::TTFMetrics

andrew james andrew at systemssingular.com
Thu Nov 12 04:14:47 CET 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 11/09/2009 04:35 PM, andrew james wrote:
>> I think font metrics to automate size frames is useful when there is
>> some constants, especially for full page algorithmic automation when
>> multiple unknown sized articles are posed on a page.
>>

>> Craig, you stated that you think there is too many variables to
>> automate frame size. I think that is wrong.
>>
>> I think two types of user want this function, graphic users, and
>> programmers.
>>

>> For users of the interface graphic, automatic frame size is used as a
>> quick action that increases productivity. The users should define
>> their preferred constant, width or height.
>>
>> In scribus, the icon to show that text is too long for the frame is a
>> box with an X that appears in the corner of the frame low, right. For
>> example, the action to automate frame size is double click the box.
>>
>> On double click, the frame increases size at one dimension to fix all
>> the text in the frame. Width or height increase, that is a user
>> preference, the other dimension is a constant.
>>
>> If a control key (control, shift, or alt) is pressed on double click
>> then the frame increases to fit at the dimension opposite to the
>> preference. A user should find this preference in a dialog.
>>
>> I know of other interfaces graphic that have this function. It is
>> intuitive to use and sometimes useful. For example, spreadsheets,
>> presentations.
>>

>> Another use for automatic size frame is as a programmer. I would like
>> to have font metrics in the API python, is it there?
>>
>> For example, someone could write a scribus script to get news from
>> the local news client (thunderbird) then design a news paper with
>> some favoured articles. No more need to read screen, you could wake
>> to an automated daily print of the news at your house.
>>

>> Craig, part of your questions confused me
>>
>> Based on the current content's first line ending, or
>> the 2nd? last? Or the current number of lines and adjust the width?
>> I cannot reply for my confusion. I think, the only use to automate
>> frame size is to fit all text, or am I wrong? You implied that
>> someone wants to size the text frame small to make some text
>> invisible, unprinted?
> I think your response proves Craig's point...why should your
> suggestions be the ones to implement?
I want to solve problems for everyone I found a program that I thought
could help everyone. Since then I talked with some scribus developers
who told me that there is metrics for fonts in scribus, but not in the
scripter.

> Changing the size of a frame, changing the size of a font can easily
> affect the entire layout of a page, so it's hard to see that such a
> quick fix is what many/most users would want.
I do not want a quick fix either.

> If there is anything that might be useful, it would be a less clumsy
> Scripter way to know when a frame has overflow and by how much, so
> that custom scripts could be more easily written.

For the scripter, a-l-e at irc, a developer, who I talked with told me
that he wrote a new scripter.

This new scripter is not fully ready. At this state, the scripter new
has not exposed any more functions of the source C++, but I was told
that to expose functions in the new scripter is easier.