[scribus] automatically size text frame, font metrics Font::TTFMetrics

andrew james andrew at systemssingular.com
Mon Nov 9 22:35:17 CET 2009

I think font metrics to automate size frames is useful when there is
some constants, especially for full page algorithmic automation when
multiple unknown sized articles are posed on a page.

Craig, you stated that you think there is too many variables to automate
frame size. I think that is wrong.

I think two types of user want this function, graphic users, and
programmers.

For users of the interface graphic, automatic frame size is used as a
quick action that increases productivity. The users should define their
preferred constant, width or height.

In scribus, the icon to show that text is too long for the frame is a
box with an X that appears in the corner of the frame low, right. For
example, the action to automate frame size is double click the box.

On double click, the frame increases size at one dimension to fix all
the text in the frame. Width or height increase, that is a user
preference, the other dimension is a constant.

If a control key (control, shift, or alt) is pressed on double click
then the frame increases to fit at the dimension opposite to the
preference. A user should find this preference in a dialog.

I know of other interfaces graphic that have this function. It is
intuitive to use and sometimes useful. For example, spreadsheets,
presentations.

Another use for automatic size frame is as a programmer. I would like to
have font metrics in the API python, is it there?

For example, someone could write a scribus script to get news from the
local news client (thunderbird) then design a news paper with some
favoured articles. No more need to read screen, you could wake to an
automated daily print of the news at your house.

Craig, part of your questions confused me

Based on the current content's first line ending, or
the 2nd? last? Or the current number of lines and adjust the width?

I cannot reply for my confusion. I think, the only use to automate frame
size is to fit all text, or am I wrong? You implied that someone wants
to size the text frame small to make some text invisible, unprinted?

andrew