[scribus] automatically size text frame, font metrics Font::TTFMetrics

Craig cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 9 20:30:28 CET 2009

andrew james wrote:
> Perhaps the intent of my message was obscure. I will reexplain
>
> Malay Basu, wrote a program that he named Font::TTFMetrics, yes the
> language is perl. The code is posted and documented at
> http://search.cpan.org/~malay/Font-TTFMetrics-0.1/lib/Font/TTFMetrics.pm
>
> Though Malay may or may not have concern for the project scribus, I
> copied his address to a previous message. My intent was to connect Malay
> and his code to the project scribus for development of a scribus feature
> that is highly demanded.
>
> Malays program reads units in true type font (ttf) files. An example use
> is to measure character or string widths.
>
> An application of this use is to automate design of a newspaper, that
> requires metrics to size text frames for a limited size page layout.
>
> Currently I found no function in scribus to automatically size text
> frames, am I wrong?

Scribus already uses font metrics data from various font types, however,
no, it does not auto size frames. How would it determine the width or
height to choose? Based on the current content's first line ending, or
the 2nd? last? Or the current number of lines and adjust the width? Too
many variables without someone defining the proper expected behaviour.

Craig