[scribus] Color tint

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 15:26:50 CET 2009

On 11/08/2009 09:08 AM, maltmaster wrote:

> maltmaster wrote:
>
>> I am evaluating Scribus to replace InDesign CS2. I can specify a tint to
>> lighten a color with InDesign. I have not found this in the properties or
>> color menus. Does it exist?
>>

> More information: I found this on a Microsoft office forum. It gives
> functions to compute RGB values from a a base color and tint value. This
> helps to define a new color.
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/f6d26f2c-114f-4a0d-8bca-a27442aec4d0
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/f6d26f2c-114f-4a0d-8bca-a27442aec4d0
>
> Still looking for equivalent function for CYMK. I assume that a subtractive
> model would differ from an additive model.

You can try this as a workaround using tools in Scribus:

1. Make an arbitrary shape on a page.
2. Select the Color tab of Properties.
3. Within the Color tab, click the drop-down button and switch to one of
the gradients
4. Change the colors at the ends of the gradient for your base color and
the "tint" you wish to apply
5. Use the color picker tool on the tool bar to select a tinted color
from your gradient -- you can either do this from the Color tab gradient
or from the shape you created.
6a. You should see a dialog pop up asking for a name for this new color,
and after you enter one, it will be added to your color list.
6b. You can save this Shape to the Scrapbook in case you might need to
change your mind about the chosen color.

Greg