[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

Wayne shakacat at ukulele.com
Tue May 26 05:49:36 CEST 2009

Craig Bradney wrote:
> John Beardmore wrote:
>> wayne wrote:
>>
>>> Is the 1.3.5 version adequate for business use?
>>> If not, why not? What specifically would be the
>>> problem?
>> 'Which bugs haven't you found yet' is seldom an
>> easy question for developers to answer.
>>
>> Presumably few bugs are know which is why it's an
>> RC, but it hasn't been tested much which is why it
>> shouldn't be regarded as a stable release.
>
> It is an RC (Release Candidate) because we want to
> make a release for people to download and test
> before the final 1.3.5 release. It will NEVER EVER
> (repeat.. NEVER EVER) be classed as stable, even
> after 1.3.5 release.
>
>> It very probably will be fine for many business
>> applications, but without more testing I guess
>> developers know it would be unwise to encourage
>> you to depend on it for anything that would take a
>> long tome to do again in 1.3.3.13 or whatever.
>
> You are supposed to depend on stable releases... ie
> 1.3.3.13 is the current release and will still be
> the version to use for normal work even after 1.3.5
> is released. Use it, test it.. and if all goes well,
>  feel free to use it instead of 1.3.3.13.
>
> Craig

I've been using 1.3.3.x all along until I upgraded to
Mandriva 2009 spring recently. Mandriva 2009 only
offers 1.3.5svn so I thought I'd try it out. However, I
then decided to play it safe and uninstall 1.3.5svn and
install 1.3.3.13.

I can't install 1.3.3.13 without first removing
libpython 2.6 and half of the KDE4 programs that I use
now. I'm not going to do that. If I remove 1.3.5svn,
keep libpython2.6 and then install libpython2.5,
scribus 1.3.3.13 will install without icons in all of
the menu bars along with this error message at the
beginning: "Setting up the python plugin failed. Error
details were printed to stderr." It will also generate
a signal 11 crash when I want to close a file.

My guess is that libpython 2.6 is somehow screwing
around with something that 1.3.3.13 needs to install
properly.

I'm stuck with using 1.3.5svn and libpython 2.6. That
is why I asked about the reliability of 1.3.5.

Thanks,
Wayne