[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed May 20 01:59:04 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 18:35:13 Wayne wrote:
> I recently installed Mandriva Spring 2009 and found
> that the only version available in the repository was
> 1.3.5svn. So, I installed that thinking that if I don't
> like it, I can always find 1.3.3.12 somewhere and
> install that. Well, since 1.3.3.12 is the stable
> version, and I'm using Scribus for business, I decided
> to uninstall 1.3.5svn. I found 1.3.3.12 in the Mandriva
> 2008 repository and tried to install it. However, one
> of its dependencies is libpython2.5 and when I install
> that, Scribus 1.3.3.12 no longer shows any text in any
> of the menu bars.
>
> When I try to remove libpython2.6 (there when I
> installed 1.3.5svn), it threatens to remove a a long
> list of other (KDE4 and others, many of which I use and
> need) programs along with it.
>
> My question is: Can I install 1.3.3.12 AFTER  having
> installed 1.3.5svn? If so, how?
> Do I have to uninstall libpython2.6 first?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

I am not the greatest expert on this, but if you download the source
for 1.3.3.13 (later than 1.3.3.12) and compile it using cmake as
described in the wiki AND change the target location from the default
of /usr/local to e.g., your home directory then 1.3.5 and 1.3.3.x can
coexist.  Now I am a Slackware user and am used to downloading source
and then compiling.  Slack comes out of the box with all the
compiling and linking tools, including cmake.  Don't know about
Mandriva.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters