[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

mrdocs mrdocs at scribus.info
Wed May 20 22:19:09 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 11:59:04 pm John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 18:35:13 Wayne wrote:
> > I recently installed Mandriva Spring 2009 and found
> > that the only version available in the repository was
> > 1.3.5svn. So, I installed that thinking that if I don't
> > like it, I can always find 1.3.3.12 somewhere and
> > install that. Well, since 1.3.3.12 is the stable
> > version, and I'm using Scribus for business, I decided
> > to uninstall 1.3.5svn. I found 1.3.3.12 in the Mandriva
> > 2008 repository and tried to install it. However, one
> > of its dependencies is libpython2.5 and when I install
> > that, Scribus 1.3.3.12 no longer shows any text in any
> > of the menu bars.
> >
> > When I try to remove libpython2.6 (there when I
> > installed 1.3.5svn), it threatens to remove a a long
> > list of other (KDE4 and others, many of which I use and
> > need) programs along with it.
> >
> > My question is: Can I install 1.3.3.12 AFTER  having
> > installed 1.3.5svn? If so, how?
> > Do I have to uninstall libpython2.6 first?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wayne

> I am not the greatest expert on this, but if you download the source
> for 1.3.3.13 (later than 1.3.3.12) and compile it using cmake as
> described in the wiki AND change the target location from the default
> of /usr/local to e.g., your home directory then 1.3.5 and 1.3.3.x can
> coexist.  Now I am a Slackware user and am used to downloading source
> and then compiling.  Slack comes out of the box with all the
> compiling and linking tools, including cmake.  Don't know about
> Mandriva.

Easier solution:

from a command line:

#rpm -e scribus

then look here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Mandriva_2009/

for 1.3.3.13.

then download and install with rpm -ivh scribus*

There is currently some issue with 1.3.3.13 not building on Mdv 2009 on i586.
64bit package compiled fine. I have triggered a rebuild and you might see a
new package in the next few hours.

Peter