[scribus] EAN-5 Price code for non-English speaking countries.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu May 14 19:53:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 10:31:49 -0500
"Dick Verheul" <dickverheul at linuxmail.org> dijo:

> I have never seen this price-code on a dutch book.

I am in the US, and it seems to be the norm for newer books these days.
However, a quick look at books on my shelf reveals several published as
late as 2000 which do not have it.

I did not realize that Barnes and Noble requires the price barcode. If
they do, there must be a lot of books that they refuse to sell.

Also, almost all the books on my shelf which do have a price  barcode
show it as 90000. My dim understanding is that 90000 means the store's
scanner is to interpret it as "look the price up in our store's
internal database," rather than interpret a specific price from the
barcode.

I live a few minutes from Powell's, which is one of the largest brick
and mortar bookstores anywhere. Most of the books they sell have a
sticker over the barcode which contains their own barcode. My point is
that a store is free to put any sticker on any book they choose - it's
their property, after all. Maybe that is what Barnes and Noble does
with books that don't have a price barcode.

Interesting discussion.