[scribus] more intelligent handling of imported styles [was "scribus feature request"]

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon May 11 03:46:01 CEST 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:15:40 +1000
Hedley Finger <hfinger at handholding.com.au> dijo:

> I have added an enhancement request to the issue-tracking database along
> the following lines <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8024>.  When
> you import a foreign document into FrameMaker, the foreign styles are
> preserved in the text.  However, some of these styles may have names
> that exactly match named styles in the style catalogue.  In that case,
> you can apply the existing styles in the catalogue to the text and,
> where style names are identical, the catalogue properties over-ride the
> imported properties.  It drives me nuts when Scribus creates a bunch of
> "Copy of" styles for OOo styles with the same name as styles in the
> catalogue.
>
> When importing text from OpenOffice.org or Word, etc., I would like
> Scribus to allow you these choices of actions (possibly in combination,
> using radio buttons and checkboxes):

InDesign, PageMaker and QuarkXPress all do it the same way as
FrameMaker. It appears to be an "industry standard" way of importing
word processor text. However, I must add that none of the others
support importing text from OOo, although you can copy and paste and
still retain styles. Scribus, bless its little electronic heart, is way
ahead of the others there.

I'm not saying that Scribus should do it the same way. as the others.
Perhaps the way the others do it can be improved upon. I'm simply
pointing out what others do.

And, while importing OOo text should be reasonably doable, figuring out
how to import Word text might be a challenge for our developers. And it
should not be very necessary, as OOo can import Word text easily enough.