[scribus] more intelligent handling of imported styles [was "scribus feature request"]

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Mon May 11 02:15:40 CEST 2009

Owen and adevc:

I have added an enhancement request to the issue-tracking database along
the following lines <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8024>.  When
you import a foreign document into FrameMaker, the foreign styles are
preserved in the text.  However, some of these styles may have names
that exactly match named styles in the style catalogue.  In that case,
you can apply the existing styles in the catalogue to the text and,
where style names are identical, the catalogue properties over-ride the
imported properties.  It drives me nuts when Scribus creates a bunch of
"Copy of" styles for OOo styles with the same name as styles in the
catalogue.

When importing text from OpenOffice.org or Word, etc., I would like
Scribus to allow you these choices of actions (possibly in combination,
using radio buttons and checkboxes):

@    over-ride the imported styles with the identically named catalogue
styles

@    over-ride the catalogue styles with the identically named imported
styles (e.g. update the catalogue)

@    attempt to match imported styles with the closest catalogue style
based on properties, and over-ride the imported style with both
properties and name

@    attempt to match catalogue styles with the closest imported style
based on properties, and over-ride the catalogue style with both
properties and name

@    rename imported styles to "Copy of" if their names match catalogue
styles

FrameMaker also allows you to search for one style and replace it with
another, very useful for massaging contributions from various sources
into one set of styles.  FM also allows copy and paste of styles.

What do you think?  Post your thought here but also add them to the
issue at <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8024>.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel: +61 3 9809 1229   Fax: (call phone first)
Mobile (cell): +61 412 461 558   Skype: hedley.finger
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>