[scribus] Dumb newbie question

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Mar 30 15:40:04 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> That is extremely interesting. My formulas are simple, but doing them
> in OOo is problematic due to bugs. (The font bugs that cause many
> characters not to appear if bold or italic are selected.)
>
> However, I know zero about TeX, and I don't have a couple months of my
> life to spend learning it. Would it be possible just to learn how to do
> the formulas I need. I'm guessing that it wouldn't take too long to
> learn the syntax I'd need.

There should be some easy to find resources re: LaTeX commands.
ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/short-math-guide.pdf
for example.

Some starters:

Math commands need to begin and end with '$' for what is called in-line
use of these commands.

Examples:
$\frac{x}{y}$ will make a fraction, with x as the numerator, y as the
denominator.

$x^y$  x to the y power
$x_y$ x subscript y

$\frac{x^2 + 2y}{x + y}$

$\sqrt{\frac{x +1}{y}}$   square root of x + 1  divided by y

note:
$\times$ is times symbol, not $*$
$\div$ is division symbol
$\deg$ is said to be degree symbol, but I can't get that to work, so
have used $^\circ$ instead

The reference above shows how complex and flexible this can be (and once
you get  the hang of it, not so hard).

Greg